Monday, January 19, 2009

Vampires & the women who love them

Just got back from giving some blood at the local hospital* and since I’m feeling too woozy to get back to work right away, I thought I’d take a minute to post a fast (and I mean fast) sketch of Bella and Edward, two of the characters from Steph Meyers’ (I can get away with calling her “Steph” because, y’know, we’re so close) Twilight series.



A lot of folks I know (my wife in particular) dearly love the books, which are apparently very well-written, but I haven’t given them a try yet because my idea of vampires is radically different from Steph’s. To me, once a character becomes a vampire, he can no longer be considered a protagonist; he is a monster. An undead, bloodsucking monster that kills people. Admittedly, there have been some great vampire characters of note who have shown brief glimpses of humanity and heroism, like Don Simon Ysidro from Barb (we’re also very close) Hambly’s masterpiece Those Who Hunt the Night, Eben Olemaun from 30 Days of Night, and Louis from Interview With A Vampire, but a vampire, by definition, is a predator, driven by his/her lust for blood, and will succumb to it sooner or later. Even if, like Twilight's vampire protagonist Edward Cullen, he’s mysterious, sensitive and (insert girlish squeal here) “soooo hot.”

But hey, that’s just me. Maybe I'll give the books a try one of these days, just to see what all the buzz is about. Or maybe I should stop posting stuff right after giving blood...

*the nurses gave me free orange juice and pastries--as in, MORE THAN ONE--right after. Score!

2 comments:

Chris Samnee said...

This is really nice, Dan. My wife LOVES the books too... but I think all wives do;)

Keep up the great work. Oh, and good on ya for giving blood.

Dan C said...

Thanks, Chris! I think you're right... being a Twilight fan is definitely a wifey thing.

Thanks for stopping by!